Friday, October 05, 2007

a few FO's!

This time tomorrow I will be an aunt... again! My SIL is being induced as we speak, her due date was Oct 1st, so she was more than ready and willing for some help from the Dr. I had told myself that I would not be knitting anything for this baby, but I had a long talk with myself and decided I was being unreasonable. I am so pleased w/ the outcome. I just kinda whipped the pattern up - just a simple 3x3 rib for 8 rows, one purl row and the rest stockinette. I should have started my decreases a bit sooner. I even took about 7 rows out using a tutorial I found when I first started knitting and thought - man that looks hard, but it really wasn't. Fortunately, I remembered how to do it, cause now I can't find the tutorial. I thought it was on http://www.knitty.com/, but who knows. You basically just decide what row you want to frog back to and pick up the stitches in that row. Then rip away w/ careless abandon. When you get to the stitches you just picked up, you won't be able to unravel anymore ( unless you tug really, really hard - I guess) The little flowers are just something I came up w/ too. They are crocheted. The real trick was making sure the whole in the middle would accomidate the button. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. It was a quick knit. I did it in about a day's worth of knitting, which usually includes a lot of stopping and starting up again, but if I had to guess it prolly took about 5-6 hours.

Next is Shedir. It's actually been finished for quite some time. It's for my aunt that was diagnosed w/ breast cancer early this summer. I finished it sometime right before her second chemo treatment and unfortunately did not give it to her until her second to the last treatment. I was really dissapointed w/ the obvious difference in color when I switched to a new ball of yarn. I used the yarn recomended - Rowan Calmer and the ball band SAID that they were the same dye lot, but obviously they were not. She loved it anyway and was amazed that I made it. The Debbie Bliss for the baby hat was supposed to be for my Shedir, but I was not happy w/ the way the gauge swatch looked and decided that I really should try to get over my obssession w/ pink. I ordered some KnitPicks dk merino this week to work mine up in. Of course, it's raspberry so I guess I'm a lost cause.

Lastly is this adorable little bag. It needs a good haircut and I'm planning on lining it (I hate unstructured bags - unless it's just a reg. old tote bag, but this bag screams for structure, and a lining w/ a stiff facing is the only way to achieve this). I used Pattons SWS in Natural Geranium. I bought it last year to make a felted bag and never finished it. I have enough left to make another like this. This is the purl side and I think it's going to be the outside of the bag. The handle is a bit floppier than I had anticipated so it will get lined to, somehow. I've been pondering how to accomplish this all week. Another quick knit. I could have completed this in about 4-5 hours, but worked on it a little all week. I also worked mine in the round untill I got to the bottom shapping and then worked back and forth. I think if I make another I will do it the same way, but either use a circ. needle that's short enough to work the bottom in the round or work each side of the bottom individually. I also kitchnered the bottom seam shut instead of a 3-needle bind-off. I do love kitchnering and was too lazy to get up and go get a spare needle to do the 3nbo. It's currently drying and blocking over P's lunch box and in the future it will be my sock knitting bag. I hope it dries soon! I can't wait start using it.

I think mom and I are going to E-ville tomorrow to the Goshen Market. We've been wanting to do this for the past few years and just keep on forgetting or putting it off or something. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I know there will be baked goods! A friend of her's brings her flax seed cookies sometimes from the market. I think there may be produce and I'm guessing handcrafted items too. I can't wait to put my crocheted grocery bag to the use I intended it for.

Oh, here's a little preview - guess what my 3 1/2 year old niece is going to be for Halloween? I don't remember Gene Simmons ever wearing pink nail polish though.

1 comment:

Robin said...

That picture of your niece is hilarious! My daughter used to have that same dress, and I can totally see her wanting the KISS makeup to go with it.