Wednesday, April 28, 2010

with a block block here...

Photo 1:   twelve 9-patch blocks
Photo 2:   and now there are 48 scrappy blocks.
Photos 3 & 4:   3 - 5 block strips

Lot's of sewing going on.  I've managed to piece all the blocked strips together, re-cut them and I'm now in the process of sewing them into the strips that will actually form the quilt.  Looks like it will definitely be a lap quilt, which is what I was aiming for, though for a brief while I thought it would be large enough for my queen sized bed thanks to a math error. (Stoopid maths!)  I had twelve 9-patch blocks before the last round of cutting, all of which were cut in 4ths so now there are are 48 blocks.  I'm sewing those into strips of 5 blocks and thinking I will do 7 rows of 5 with a thick border to finish it off, but torn if I should just go with a 6x8 format since there are certainly enough to do so.  The 5 block strips are measuring around 33".  If I go w/ the 5x7 format I can add a strip of blocks to embellish the back of the quilt and will still have leftovers to make a pillow or mini wall quilt or something.

I've also been throwing around the idea of making some new curtains for the kitchen for about a week or so.  My original plan was just to buy some pretty fabric, seam it and hang it.  Now I'm thinking something pieced though.  I've been scouring the internet for inspiration and these are my favorites right now. I think I may go w/ the Make Life line since I bought a charm pack last week.

I'm also digging the idea of a solid strip like this but at the bottom or top instead and with some cut pom-pom trim.

Can you tell I just discovered Piece N Quilt today?  I was invited to a baby shower today and happen to have a large remnant of girly flannel so plan to make a few receiving blankets.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Quilting I Will Go

Shortly before I got my new laptop(aka Doris) I started looking for a cute but functional bag for her. I quickly realized though that there are very few stylish bags for girls with a big booty (17" monitor). So I decided to make one myself. After many a trip to various fabric stores I still do not have a bag for Doris, nor have a I purchased fabric to make said bag. However, I have purchased fabric for and made 2 skirts as well as many a fat quarter. Fat quarters are deadly addictive, just as much so as scrapbook paper... actually worse than scrapbook paper. Somewhere in this mix I decided to make a quilt.

I'm blaming it on the fat quarters.


The paisley print was the jumping off point. I found 9 other prints to match, mostly, and started digging online for a pattern. I quickly fell in love with the disappearing 9 patch. I spent 2-3 hours Friday night cutting my fabric into 15x5 strips and about an hour Saturday matching them into groups of three, but so that no one print was paired up with another print more than once. Started sewing the strips together yesterday and finished it off today. So I've managed to finish the first phase this weekend, which is sewing each threesome of 15x5 strips together and cutting them into strips so it looks like I spent way more time piecing each individually. I'm anxious to start sewing those strips together for my 9-patches, and then more cutting fun can begin!
Oh, in my previous post I accidentally included 2 of the same photo, I will include the one I intended to attach. In case anyone is wondering, yes, all this spinning and sewing means I have not been knitting.

Almost like Christmas - High Fiber Style!

I received TWO packages in the mail yesterday... both fibery related.  First off was my 1st installment of the Spunky Eclectic fiber club... a gorgeous 4 oz of organic merino combed top.  The label says it's 22 microns. The colorway is called Storms of Jupiter.  I'm hoping for a 2 ply worsted with this but I'm spinning it up so thin I may need to go 3 ply or settle for something more dk-ish.

Secondly, and I was even more excited about this than the fiber, was my new Jenkins Turkish Delight spindle.  It's so darn cute.  I grabbed some Ashland Bay that I have stashed and started spinning it up as soon as I was able to tear the package open and assemble the spindle.  I very soon decided I would rather be spinning up the club fiber though and switched over to that instead.  The two of them kept me well distracted from my original plans for the day, which were to spend a lot of time with the sewing machine.