Monday, May 10, 2010

Mom's Day, Mac n Cheese & a Manless week

Had a pretty good Mother's Day, even though T is in France for the global IT conference.  I miss him, so do the boys, but I'm strangely enjoying his absence.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have him home.  I think it's cause I get to hog the bed for six days... lol.  Though that hasn't happened yet.  I had two bed hoggy boys to share my bed with last night but they've been warned that last night was the only night that would happen.  I'm taking advantage of him not being here to paint the bathroom, I even bought new towels, the ones I've wanted since December.  While he never minds the end result of my re-decorating he's always annoyed by the mess that occurs during the process.  And this way he can't tell me no either.

We went to mom's yesterday.  Dad fried fish he caught last week on his annual fishing trip.  Yum, it's always so good.  There were a ton of yummy sides too.  I made probably the best baked mac n cheese I've ever made.  I used this recipe, but tweaked to my own liking.  I subbed out 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/8 tsp dry mustard for the nutmeg.  I don't get nutmeg in savory dishes?  And I used about 3 cups of sharp cheddar, 2 cups monterrey jack & 1/2 cup of parm/romano blend.  There's tons left over so it inspired tonight's dinner: steak, asparagus, green salad w/ vinaigrette & leftover mac.  It was so good.  I'll have to make it again when T gets home.  Oh, and I did up the steak a little different than normal.  P suggested I marinate it in teriyaki.  I also added a bit of brown sugar and a dry steak seasoning to the marinade.  Was very good, definitely a repeat on that.

No comments: