Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Lesson in Zippers Part 1



I've decided to improve my zipper installing skills... they really are quite poor.  I also am in some desperate need of new throw pillows for our living room.  Having a zipper closure on a pillow really is a good idea.  My last couple efforts ended a pillow that would not stay in it's case.  I'm sure it is not the pillows fault, rather the maker of the pillow's cover fault.


I purchased the full collection of Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley fat quarters a while ago, with the intent of making pillows but then was afraid to cut them up.  2 nights ago I got over my fears and dug out the yard of linen in my stash to make a 18" quilt top. (I love the Hope Valley, I see me purchasing some more very soon,  I want to make a million things out of it now.)  As for the zipper, I decided to use a 22" because I thought it might give me a little more wiggle room


I'm not going to attempt to explain how to install a zipper.  Their are many tutorials out there that are very well written.  For my pillow I used the tutorial on Sew Mama Sew by Creative Little Daisy.  It worked like a charm.  Well, mostly.  The issues I had with it were of my own doing and I know how to avoid them next time.  I've already started a second pillow with the Hope Valley scraps.  The only thing that I would do differently is change the order I sewed a few things.  The tutorial has you sew the flap side first and then the other side to the zipper.  I found this a bit awkward, especially since I chose to make a gathered flap.  It was also a lot to manipulate while sewing.  (I also think I need to double check my machine's manual to make sure I'm using the zipper foot correctly???)


Topstitching the second half of the backing piece.  See how the flap is just in the way.  I find sewing straight with zipper foot difficult too.  There are no lines really to use as guides so I just say a prayer and hope for the best.  


Here is the finished pillow.  I am very happy with how it turned it.  Surprisingly, it does not look horrible with my super-ugly couch which I hope to replace with something more attractive and comfy soon.


And the back... love that orange floral print and the ruffle.  Couldn't help girl-ing it up a bit.


No comments: