Saturday, July 02, 2011

Walking with a new foot

 I don't remember if I mentioned it in my last post, but I broke down and purchased the walking foot for my machine.  It was near impossible to machine quilt (among other things) on my machine without it.  I don't know why I waited so long.  Oh yeah, maybe because when I started looking into it a year ago it was going to cost $75 and I could not justify buying a $75 part for a $150 machine.  I ended up snagging it off Amazon for $33, and I'm so glad I did.


Using blue painter's tape as a straight line stitching guide, like how it is being done here.  Sorry I did not include the link to the actual post where she talks about it, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like looking for it.


Back of quilted piece, look at all those purdy lines!


Not the greatest photo, but check it out, not a pucker in sight!


The finished result, a new cover for my ironing board.  I was in desperate need of a new one.  I loosely used the tutorial on Moda Bake Shop.  I like it, but do not love it.  I did not have any ribbon, at least not enough to go around so used elastic, I think I need a wider elastic??? (I used 1/4") and it definitely needs at least another layer of batting, I can feel the ironing board surface through the cover.  I'm wondering if a piece of canvas would help? Guess the icky, flimsy piece of foam on the old cover served more of a purpose than just grossing me out (and shifting around aimlessly).  


And for reference, here's how bad the old cover was... yuck!  The tear got caught on something everytime I used the ironing board.

No comments: